Climate certification for food – Information in English
A Swedish initiative was started in 2007 by KRAV and Swedish Seal (Svenskt Sigill) in order to develop a climate certification for the food chain. Currently, the project is managed in cooperation with several major Swedish food companies: Milko, Lantmännen, the Federation of Swedish Farmers, Scan and Skånemejerier.
The purpose is to create a certification system, which will reduce the negative climate effects in food production and give consumers a chance to make a conscious climate choices as well as strengthening the competitiveness of the food producers.
- The climate certification scheme presents a good climate alternative within each product category, guaranteeing to the consumer that improvements have been made.
- The certification scheme covers the entire production chain for a product, where measures are taken that decreases climate impact.
- The certification scheme covers Swedish and imported products. A module has been developed describing how products can be traded with on a global basis in a situation where few globally recognized systems are available for climate certification.
- The climate certification can only be used in combination with another certification scheme (criteria are specified in the standard) that certifies components of sustainable food production.
- The labelling issue is taken care of by existing certification organisations – guarantees quick impact and introduction on the market. No new label is introduced.
- The project’s reports and results are public and available for downloading here.
Download the criteria:
Scientific paper published 2010 on the climate certification scheme:
Findus Climate Certificate Products
Sigill Kvalitetssystem AB email@example.com 08-787 59 50